Monday, December 3, 2012

Elf on the Shelf {The First Arrival}

We really were not sure if we wanted to jump on the elf bandwagon, however after dragging our feet for years, we took the plunge this year.



After doing some research about how to get started with the elf, I found this site on Pinterest, where an elf was first introduced to a family. I tweaked the letter to better suit our family and we were all set for the introduction of our elf!

Elf on the Shelf First Arrival - Moms Gonna Snap

When the box arrived on December 1st, Anthony was so excited to have a package from Santa!

Elf on the Shelf First Arrival - Moms Gonna Snap (1)

When he opened the box he found the elf, a letter from Santa and the Elf on the Shelf book – initially he was not sure what to think about all this. 

Elf on the Shelf First Arrival - Moms Gonna Snap (2)

Then he read his letter from Santa to us… (letter is shown below)

Elf on the Shelf First Arrival - Moms Gonna Snap (3)

After reading the letter and learning that he is not supposed to touch the elf, he was a little nervous that the elf had already lost his magic. We carefully set the elf back in the box, carried him inside and dumped him on the table, where he waited for his first night of festivities…

2012-12-01

Here is our elf, Clyde, on his first night with us.  Anthony was so excited to find him the next morning!


Here’s the letter that we used:

December 1st, 2012
Dear Anthony…one of my favorites!
First off, I have to tell you that I think you are very special. I know that you are filled with love for your parents, all of your family and your friends. I know that you love Jesus too and so do I! That makes us especially special!
I want to send you a very special treat for this Christmas season. This elf is a dear friend of mine. He is from my workshop and he is coming to help you get ready for Christmas. I would like for you to give my friend a very special name, a name that your family can call him, as he will be with you until I visit again on Christmas Eve. You should know that he tends to be a little naughty. I know that by making good choices, you will help your elf learn to make good choices too!
One important thing about this elf… elves are not exactly the same as humans. He will stay still during the day and because he is magical, you shouldn't touch him, for fear his magic will leave him. You can talk to him and tell him stories – he will hear you and love you. While he is quiet during the day, he loves to play at night once everyone else is sleeping. That’s when he gets in trouble, so you’ll have to watch him carefully!
When I told him that he was going to come and stay with you, he was so excited! He really loves listening to the piano, so maybe you will get a chance to play some music for him.
Have fun, and I’ll be back to pick him up on Christmas Eve when I come to drop off some surprises for you!
I love you very much!
SANTA

P.S. Please read this book, to learn more about my friend!


The elf will improve little boy's behavior, right?? We are definitely hoping it does! Especially for our 1st grader who is already asking if Santa is real. It's way too early for that discussion - I was definitely not prepared when he came home asking about Santa...

Do you have an elf at your house? What types of tricks has he been playing for your kids?


2 comments:

  1. Love the name of your Elf! Ours is named "Billy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for that question o have a third grader and a second grader and two younger ones as well. we are doing the elf on the shelf this year thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete