Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spicy Corn and Potato Chowder {Recipe}

Spicy Corn and Potato Chowder - Moms Gonna Snap (1)

This weekend I was looking for a recipe for a soup to make while the boys were at Cub Scouts Polar Camp (freezing outside all day in Minnesota!).  I found a recipe for Corn and Potato Chowder here and decided to give it a try.  I had some of the ingredients on hand, but also knew that I was not going to make a trip to the store, so I needed to improvise.

Spicy Corn and Potato Chowder - Moms Gonna Snap (2)

Here’s what I put in the crock pot:
  • 3/4 bag of frozen hash browns (I prefer the little diced potatoes, but didn’t have any)
  • 3 frozen chicken breasts
  • 3 cups frozen sweet corn
  • 4 cups homemade chicken broth
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper

I let it cook for a few hours and then added:
  • diced andouille sausage - It's fully cooked, but wanted the flavors to blend. I also peeled the "skin" off before chopping it up.

About 1 hour before serving, I pulled out the chicken breasts, shredded them, and tossed all the chicken back in. 

About 45 minutes before serving I scooped out about 3 cups of the soup to blend and add back in. An immersion blender would have worked great, but since I don’t have one I used my Magic Bullet to blend it up. This really helped to thicken the soup (just like hubby prefers).  The last thing I added was:
  • 8 oz of light cream cheese

When it was time to serve, we added a little sharp cheddar and sprinkled a few bacon bits on top.  This soup was DELICIOUS!  It had just the right amount of spice from the sausage.  This will definitely be a regular recipe at our house!

Let me know what you think if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment